Saturday 18 January 2014

Second Amy Butler Blossom Bag (Full Sized)

This is the first purse that I have made to give to a friend.  It's also my first vinyl sewing project, and it took about nine hours to make.  
The last time I made this purse, I downsized the pattern.  This time, however, I made it according to its intended size (which is far too big for me, but the friend in question has a fairly large purse which she has wanted to replace for some time now).  I also thought that it makes most sense to review this pattern when making it to its original specifications.
So, my findings....
I made the same two modifications as last time:  I incorporated the flap into the lining sewing, as I find that looks neater.  I also sewed the handles on a little differently to the way the pattern intends.  I think my way looks better :)  
The other major modification here is that it's made of vinyl.  (I wanted to make it out of leather, but that's a bit pricey!!) So, a leather-look will have to do.  I'm quite pleased with the result.  I made the handles a bit longer than the pattern specified:  I think the pattern says to make them 73cm long, and I made them 80cm long, as I thought that would make the bag more comfortable to carry.  I notice that in some of the pictures, the handles appear to be of different lengths.  That's just a photographic flaw:  they are the same!  The recipient of this bag is a mom, so I made the lining out of tenting fabric, as it is durable and (importantly!) waterproof.  
The one flaw in this bag is, I hope, temporary:  there seems to be a dent in the front flap.  I am hoping that it dents out after some use.  Other than that, it's pretty well perfect, if I do say so myself.

Please share your opinions!







1 comment:

  1. Incredible! I love it and agree that your way of adding the straps is better. It gives a flawless finish.

    ReplyDelete